trishartisty
I hate darkness. I do not know. I do not like being in a dark room, especially where the room is so small and completely dark. Being in a dark room always makes me feels panic. I feel breathless, I’m sweating, shaking, and my heart is beating so fast. I feel insecure because I cannot see anything.  I feel a sensation of detachment from reality. It feels like there is something that will attack me, whether it is ghost, animal, or people. I wonder what kind of feeling is this. Later, I know that it is known as Nyctophobia.

Nyctophobia means fear of night or darkness. It is also known as Scotophobia. Nyctophobia is an extreme and irrational anxiety response to darkness where we know we are safe. Nyctophobia is present when you are frightened beyond more than the circumstances or object would cause, and for these circumstances, there may be absolutely no reason whatsoever for you to be afraid about, like in our bedroom. The symptoms include breathlessness, nausea, excessive sweating, vomiting, dry mouth, shaking, heart palpitations, inability to speak or think clearly, a fear of dying, becoming mad or losing control, a sensation of detachment from reality or a full blown anxiety attack.
There are a few reasons why you are plagued by Nyctophobia. First, the sufferer may be experiencing some inner conflicts that he finds difficult to find a solution to. Hence to help him release some of his pent up feelings, he externalizes them on the darkness. Second is traumatized by an occurrence. Research has shown that Nyctophobia may be a result from a traumatic event that may have occurred to the phobic.
There are several ways to deal with Nyctophobia. First, speak to a professional about this problem. If it goes untreated, it may lead to other problems such as sleep disorders and night blindness. Second, use desensitization. This gradually increases exposure to the object of fear in a non-threatening situation. For nyctophobia, try facing the darkness with another person that brings a feeling of safety, such as a parent or good friend. Also the use of a night light may work, especially for children. Third, learn self help techniques that reduce anxiety. These include breathing techniques and self talk. By decreasing anxiety while facing the object of fear, the phobia can gradually be overcome. Fourth, get hypnotized. This may be used in extreme circumstances. Hypnosis can be very effective in treating phobias and may be considered if this fear is carried into adulthood or causes severe sleep deprivation. Fifth, get medication prescribed. This should be done by a responsible professional and may be used only in extreme cases. Often antidepressants help alleviate anxiety that phobias bring, and in the case of nyctophobia, sleep aids may be helpful.
Most sufferers are surprised to learn that they are far from alone in this surprisingly common, although often unspoken, Nyctophobia. So do I. I am not sure that I have a traumatic event that makes me so fear of the darkness, so I’m still confuse why I suffer this phobia. Anyway, thanks to Thomas Alfa Edison for invented the light bulb.
0 Responses

Post a Comment

Your comments are necessary. Please submit one here...